Thursday, May 27, 2010

8th grade name collages

8th grade just finished these name collages. I was inspired to do this lesson after I saw some work of a local photographer (wish I knew her name) who takes pictures of everyday things and somehow, sees a letter in them. Pictures could be a close up of a flower, but it looks like the letter Y. She then puts these letters together to make words which could be inspirational, a persons name or any other number of things. I loved her artwork, so I adapted her idea so the 8th graders could create their names by using pictures found in magazines. The results, I think, speak for themselves!











Along with having to look at objects in a new way, students were required to neatly mount the letters. This took time, measuring and attention to detail. I love some of the whimsy that came out of this project!

No comments:

Post a Comment