Sunday, March 28, 2010

Terrific Tessellations

I taught this tessellation lesson to my 4th graders and what a success. I don't know if I would teach it to a younger grade, but 4th seemed to be perfect! I found lots of amazing information on tessellations at this incredible website - www.tessellations.org

I used the method descibed on this page - http://www.tessellations.org/diy-papercut.htm and used the advice of labeling the pieces with NW, NE, SW, SE. The only addition to this advice I would give is that when the students draw their lines on their squares, they go from one side to the other, but not into the corners. Going into the corners doesn't work so well.
The students were amazed at the results and came up with some pretty fantastic and imaginative tessellations!

Great math interdisciplinary connection!











No comments:

Post a Comment